30 before 30
I went out for dinner with my friend and her cousin the other day and I mentioned that I would be turning 30 on Monday. Her cousin asked if I had a 30 before 30 list. Then we talked about what might go on this list of 30 things to do before one turns 30. Would they be realistic? When would you start one?
Then I started thinking about the things that I have done before I turn 30. It’s not a bad list of things. It’s rather decent.
So here it is… things I have done before turning 30:
- Fell in love
- Experienced love in return from someone not family
- Got engaged
- Got married
- Got divorced
- Survived a serious heartbreak
- Bought a house
- Lived in another country
- Learned another language
- Lived in a different culture
- Made long term plans for myself
- Made long term plans with someone
- Travelled to non-English speaking countries
- Got a cat (2 in fact)
- Saw my favourite bands (more than once)
- Bought a car (sorta)
- Had an amazing garden
- Had my own home
- Had my own family
- Made some seriously awesome friends (real ones)
- Made some “grown-up” decisions
- Got to know some amazing people
- Married a rockstar
- Met a bunch of scientists
- Got know my family better
- Realised that some things are not that big of a deal (work in progress)
- Entertained Martha Stewart style
- Learned how to cook (pretty well)
I don’t have 30 things but it’s still a pretty decent list.
I didn’t think that turning 30 would be such a big deal (to me at least). Perhaps it’s the events that lead up to turning 30 that makes it so important ’cause I’m also in the beginnings of a new life.
I can say that I’m looking forward to life after 30. Perhaps even more so than when I was married and living in Sweden.